Promotion and awareness European Destinations of Excellence
The overall aim of the initiative is “to draw attention to the value, diversity and shared characteristics of European tourist destinations and to promote destinations where the economic growth objective is pursued in such a way as to ensure the social, cultural and environmental sustainability of tourism”. The objective of the present call for proposals is to support eligible National Administrations in charge of tourism, or other public bodies for the purpose of promoting the EDEN destinations (winners and runners-up of the previous editions) and enhancing awareness of the EDEN rationale, in countries which have already selected at least one “European Destination of Excellence” (EDEN) under the calls for proposals in 2007-2014. The more specific aims of the EDEN initiative are to:
- enhance visibility of the emerging European tourist destinations of excellence, especially the lesser known,
- create awareness of Europe's tourist diversity and quality,
- promote all European countries and regions,
- help decongestion, combat seasonality, rebalance the tourist flows towards the nontraditional destinations,
- award sustainable forms of tourism,
- create a platform for the exchange of good practices at European level,
- promote networking between awarded destinations which could persuade other destinations to adopt sustainable tourism development models,
- trigger a greater support from national tourism organisations at local level and an increase in private sector investment in the destinations,
- prompt a sense of pride of the local community which will lead to addition enthusiasm for further improvement of their sustainable tourism offer.
The total budget earmarked for the co-financing of projects is estimated at EUR 600,000.The maximum grant per project will be EUR 55,000.The grant is limited to a maximum reimbursement rate of 75% of eligible costs.
The single applicant or Coordinator must correspond to the following definition: National Administration in charge of tourism in one of the countries which have selected at least one of the “European Destinations of Excellence” (EDEN) under the calls for proposals launched during the period in 2007-2014. If the responsibility for the tourism sector is decentralised, then the proposal may be submitted by the competent regional administration. National Tourist Offices or other public bodies in charge of tourism can submit an application, provided that the competent National Administration gives its consent in writing. Other participants in the case of a consortium must be established in EU Member States or Countries participating in the COSME programme Cooperation is required with such marketing partners as National Tourism Organisations, Regional Tourism Organisations and other organisations, which have in their remit responsibility to carry out promotional and marketing activities in the field of tourism.